Euclid, Ohio, police officer shoots: suspect dead after standoff, authorities say

Euclid Police Station

Deshawn Anthony Vaughn was a suspect in the death of an Ohio police officer.


A suspect was found dead in northeastern Ohio on Sunday following a manhunt and hours-long standoff with police after a police officer was fatally shot in an ambush the night before, authorities said.

The suspect, identified by Euclid police as 24-year-old Deshawn Anthony Vaughn, was found dead at a home in Shaker Heights, Ohio, U.S. Marshals spokesman Peter J. Elliott said during a news conference Sunday evening. Shaker Heights is about 9 miles south of the city of Euclid, where the officer was killed.

“The manhunt is now over,” Elliott said. The suspect, believed to be “highly armed,” had fled on foot to Shaker Heights after the ambush Saturday, authorities said.

Officials did not confirm Vaughn’s manner of death during Sunday’s news conference.

Euclid Police Officer Jacob Derbin, 23, was shot Saturday when officers responded to a disturbance call at a home shortly before 10 p.m. in Euclid — about 12 miles north of Cleveland — Euclid police said in a news release.

“The complainant stated that the father of her child threatened to harm her and her mother,” Euclid Police Chief Scott Meyer said during Sunday’s news conference.

The woman told officers the suspect was on foot and possibly in the area, Meyer said.

“Officers went to check the backyard and were ambushed by gunfire from the suspect,” Meyer said.

Euclid Police Station

Euclid police identified Jacob Derbin, 23, as the officer shot and killed during an ambush Saturday evening.

Derbin was shot and taken to the hospital but died from his injuries, authorities said. No other officers were injured.

“His kind heart and huge smile were contagious,” Meyer said of Derbin with emotion. “The world was a better place with him in it and he will be desperately missed by all who knew him.”

Derbin, who was engaged to be married in July, was sworn into the department last July. His father is also a Euclid police officer, according to Meyer.

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine ordered flags to be flown at half-staff in honor of Derbin’s life and services on Sunday.

According to an announcement from DeWine, the United States and Ohio state flags will remain in that position until sunset on the day of Derbin’s funeral.

“The Euclid Police Department asks that you keep the fallen officer, his family, loved ones and our organization in your thoughts and prayers,” police said in a statement.

CNN’s Michelle Watson, Leah Thomeer and Ashley R. Williams contributed to this report.